Saturday, December 02, 2006

Not Another Minute

“Relay Service, CA 1170, what’s the area code and number to dial please?
5…0…2…6…7…5…9….”

I can say those scripted lines with my eyes closed gracefully like an Academy Award winning actress.

My practice. I invest time in “Flop Ears”, “Thomas the Engine”, and “Lemony Snicket” with a little boy.

I can construct the world’s best influential speech…And put it into Flavor Flav hands and make him sound great.

……needs strong people skills. Got It! Looking for energetic people. Got It!

Humm…. a rest… Beep. Beep. Ha!

“Relay Service, CA 1170……. “Yes Sir, I’ll have that number for you.”

I can type 76 words per minute/no errors. My sound byte is better.

Beep. Beep. Well, its paying bills.

I can tell you about every stock and bond available to you like a renowned broker on Wall Street. Guess I could stay here.

This gray cube can’t be so bad. Steady check. Oh look they gave me a company water bottle when I completed training. Must be for to keep my voice after all the calls. Keep me fresh. It holds a full 20 ounces. Equipped with bendable straw. Hooray! I can get all the H2O I desire.

Beep. Beep. “CA 1170……”

Company policy. Thou shall not miss more than three days. We don’t care if you’re sick or the weathers bad. Don’t show up and you will be terminated! Thou shall work over 50 hours a week.

No overtime. Breaks are under five minutes and handed out sparsely. Do not use our emergency exits. Walk all the way to the back. Strap in this filthy seat.

I can…

(Manager) Ahh heem! CA 1170, your schedule for Saturday and Sunday is 1p.m. – midnight.

(Manager) Think you could swing it?

(Me) “CA here, one moment Sir”

(Manager) Wait! Wait! Where are you going? Your shift is not over CA 1170! Clock out! See you Saturday!

(Me) No.

(Manager) Sunday!?

(me) No.

This is for all the people working menial, mindless jobs.

Stop. Pass the doubters, haters and potholes. Head one mile up, make the right at the fork and follow your dream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for righting this...it gives people another view of their situations and actually gives some(me)inspiration to strive for my dream job and not settle for a scheme job.