Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Hired Help

So say. My sister’s on this trip. We’ve been poor. Dirt poor. For a while. So she really shouldn’t get mad when someone asked her if she’s a volunteer at the center.
Oh, she showed out!
“No, I ain’t no volunteer! You see this dingy outfit I got on? These shoes I got crooked over? My hair parted down. …On the nappy side.”
“I don’t volunteer,” she went on with all the attitude in the world and a slight head bob towards the end. “I’m tryna make a dime!”
Ok. Granted. The job is populated with undergrads for student work. And she is in her second go around in grad school. Therefore, she may look older than the other students, and with her coursework she looks disheveled.
That doesn’t mean she can’t hustle. Side jobs are the best. Besides, we’ve known our fair share of scuffling and trying to do better. Hoping for just once, we can be on top.
All we want to do is to go some where other than Payless and buy shoes.
Or get electronic equipment when it first comes out. She just got a DVD player!
The poor child figured my sister is there faithfully, on time, for six hours, every day, at a cold, empty desk for recreation.
Like we got leisure time.

No comments: