Monday, March 12, 2007

Separate Shops for Big Girls

I’m not a bias “lil” girl. I’m just wouldn’t tell any of my friends that something looks great on them and it really looks a mess. I tag along to Lane Bryant, sans the snobbery with any one of my big boned sistas. I’m just not going to sit there with a lady, who may be a size 20 and tell her a velour cat suit looks good on her, despite the roll or two that may be hanging out.
That’s where I have a problem. It started with Old Navy. Yeah, I got beef with Old Navy. It used to be my favorite stores. Now, I hate to go there, unless on a shopping trip with friends. ... Old Navy is a lie, and they truth ain’t in them. They are lying to some women!
The retailer used to cater to small and average sizes. All that’s great. But they threw me when I walked in there one day and saw a size 20 falling off the one of the hangers, in front a size 4. That’s when I walked OUT!
I have nothing against big girls. My two sisters are both voluptuous ladies and they wear it very beautifully. Yet, at the same time, what looks GREAT on my older and younger sister, like a nice peach tube top, paired with a cute denim skirt to accent her full calves may not flatter me. While I’m president of the “itty, bitty, titty” committee, I don’t have much to hold the tube up. At the same time, I may be able to pull of that halter to expose my tanned back with Capri’s to bring out my boney legs.
It’s not the consumers fault. Women just need to recognize their limitations. There are Big Girl boutiques, Lane Bryant, the Avenue and Lil Girl boutiques, the Limited and Express. They should stay separate. I should not see thick ankles in 5-7-9, when I’m looking for an empty dressing room. And other women tell the truth to your friends, stop saying something looks good and it doesn’t. That will not make you look better out of the group.
The way I look at it is that: If my friend looks great then me too! When I get a fresh outfit, I want her with one too. I’ll keep her looking great because she’s a reflection of my choices.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear you! I completely understand where you are coming from, but on the other hand. What gives you the authority to down what makes another woman feel good about herself. I am in highschool and I am one of the "big" girls. If you have never been a big girl you could never know what we go through. It is hard for us to be comfortable when like you said we walk into Old Navy and there is a size 16 hanging right next to a size 2. I understand what you mean by dressing appropriately but I believe it is a little bit bias for you to make the comments you made yet you haven't had to walk into a store and be frustrated or depressed because the world says you are "fat" and that just isn't good enough.

Anonymous said...

Both parties are at fault. If those big girls would stop trying to get in those outfits, the manufactors will stop making them. And some friends need to be HONEST with their plump friends and stop letting them go out in outfits that make them look like they have hiding places for five year old kids to run to during a game of hide-and-seek. I'm just being real!