Sunday, April 22, 2007

Night in the Hospital (Part II)

Editor’s note: This is inspired by a true story. Names and places have been changed to protect the innocent. This is a three part series.

The clock hit around 10:30 when I figured out it became time to leave the zoo. Shawn’s bleeding started to slow to more of a constant drip. He could make the trip across the city to a better and safer hospital. The darkness started to envelope around the surroundings. The deep night made me want to leave even more. No, I take that back. The sight of the eight-month pregnant lady who suffered a bad asthma attack brought me back to saner thoughts. Well, it became a combination of things. The wait, my fatigue creating a loss of concentration and thought of me having to actually sit in the waiting room amongst thieves led me to go across the city to a better hospital.
“I have insurance we can go anywhere,” he insisted.
I shook my head as if the idea didn’t hit me sooner.
“The drive is about 15 minutes, but you’ll be OK,” I responded.
The new hospital was going to be much cleaner. During the drive the only sounds made came from the iPod. Fall Out Boy’s “This Ain’t a Scene, It’s an Arms Race” blared from the Civic’s speakers.
Maybe nothing was said because we both came to the same conclusion.
We were going to be in for a long night.

No comments: