Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Flight DL 0008

I just couldn’t believe it! At my gate there were over 530 people, all waiting for my plane to Dubai. I thought, like really, is everyone going to fit on the plane?
The plane came late because of the weather, but when it did, it was a sight to see.
I had heard the planes overseas were huge and this by far was the biggest plane I’d ever been on in my life. I’ve also heard of planes the sizes of football fields, and this plane was just that, the size of a football field. We had our own zip code.
Just to be on a plane so large became an experience!
I stepped on the plane in awe. I didn’t have to duck down to avoid hitting my head like I usually have to do on most of my flights. It had more than enough room for me and even taller passengers to be comfortable. I would have had to jump to touch the ceiling with my hand.
Everything was sooo clean like new. And the flight attendants looked perfect, like they had just stepped out of soap operas. All were well-manicured, neat and pressed uniforms and tightly wrapped buns or crew cuts. Some of the younger ones could have been models with their perfectly aligned teeth and build.
The plane had luxury features. Everyone had their own TV. First class passengers had TVs the size of my home TV. It was at least 32 inch in the back of the leather seat, for real. Equipped with touch screen and remote for video games.
It smelled like lilac. Not like I passed someone and caught a whiff of their scent, the entire plane smelled like lilac.
My seat number on row 59 placed me to the back of the plane in the aisle, but I walked happily just excited to be there. With so much room, I didn’t bump a soul walking.
There were three rows of about four to five seats in each row and bathrooms on each corner.
The flight would take us 14-15 hours but I already knew we would be comfortable. I smiled at the thought that I’d wondered for weeks about what to do on a flight that long.
When I made it to my seat, my TV had all the new movies. Some hadn’t even hit the streets on DVD, yet, like “IronMan”. I’d cursed myself for renting “21” the day before. I could have watched it for the first time on the plane. I also saw “Kung Fu Panda”, “Narnia, Prince Caspian”, “The Spiderwick Chronicles”, there were HBO shows, comedy, a kids station, radio, CDs.
I became just giddy. Then to top it off, an attendant came around with a food menu on good colored printed card stock. And this wasn’t your ordinary plane food. It tasted good. For dinner we had choices of pizza and chicken, with two vegetables, dessert, whatever drink you wanted, and FREE liquor for drinkers.
While the attendants were making sure everyone sat comfortable, the pilots introduced themselves. They were four army pilots, all trained in flying cargo planes with 110 years of flying experience between them.
Thanks for making me feel comfortable with taking me trillions of gallons of water and nowhere to land.
We had the best of things. Cool pilots, good food, good smell good. They didn’t even make us turn off our headphones, music and movies while we took off. In my seat sat a clean pillow, blanket, headphones, eye mask. (One flight similar to this one they brought us warm towels)
We were living.
To top things off, I love to eat and within an hour after taking off they fed everyone, like all at the same time. Even though I sat at the back of the plane, my food choice of grilled chicken breast came to me piping hot, fresh and I ate every crumb.

No comments: