Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Two sweet Americans

I’d spent a wonderful day with Rose and her family. Things started to look up.
Three days after our arrival we met two Americans, who also attended the conference. They stayed in Le Meridien. Everything about Le Meridien screamed fancy, they had fresh floras in clear vases that they changed the color of the water to a different color every day. They had a wait staff, cleaning staff, maintenance staff, friendly staff, plus everything worked. At $500 USD a night, we would be living better.
The Le Meridien served as the main conference hotel. The cheery fellow from Welsh named Petey told me, “We stay at the Spice Garden but we LIVE at Le Meridien.”
Petey had taken his students all over the world. He once stayed in this hotel where they had to squat to use the bathroom in buckets and separate the toilet paper in another.
I took his word for whatever he said.
Kell and I met the Americans at the opening dinner. They asked how we were living and we took the time to spare no details.
We’d told the Americans of our harsh times at Le Spice Garden and they were willing and ready to help deliver us from the rat hole. Though I tried hiding desperation in my voice, my little eyes pleaded with them.
All through dinner, I had hoped the two sweet Americans would save us that night. I believed they would. They greeted us with a warm hug and kiss. They even smelled sweet. Both were respected doctors in their field. Surly, some heavy hitters would be able to have a bigger voice than us, mere students.
For fear that I’d spoil the getaway plan, I didn’t speak much at dinner or smile. Feelings lie in your voice. Besides I needed to set celebration aside, my focus lived on getting out of our motel. I picked at my food.
I didn’t want any hint of excitement to hinder my departure. I kept my bags packed. Not even lugging two heavy bags down the street filled with dogs would have stopped me. We didn’t need of a cab. My strong legs could carry me. I wanted desperately to leave when they left. I had to leave when they left.
When the thought of harsh living hit me, my hopes fluctuated.
Cold water from the faucet chilled my bones during my shower. I slept with one eye open. I couldn’t hide under the blankets much like I do at home because only God knows what lived there. Festering mildew grew on the sheets and walls that would keep me sick. I felt alone.
I can’t say fear surrounded me because I know my keeper. Though uncertainty found a way to taunt me.
Earlier our driver showed me the hospital. It too looked abandoned and I became quite sure that I didn’t want a trip there. I wanted the warmth and security that Le Meridien had to offer.
Everyone ate dinner, and I saw the two Americans working steadfast.
But they came with the news to us that we would have to stay another night. They looked really down. They really wanted to help. I tried to hide my feelings with a cracked smile. One American gently held my face in her hand.
To go back, one more long night. To count the hours go by. Count them very slow.
The clock says, 10p..… 11p..… midnight…..1a.m…2a.m… 3a.m… 4a.m… 5a.m… Get up. It’s annoying.
A sad, slow lump, thumped rhythmically in my chest.
She knew.
I took a deep breath and long look at her kind face.
Noticing, for the first time in a long time in a long time of my young life, someone had looked upon me with pity.

No comments: