Thursday, September 18, 2008

Creative Money

For the past few weeks I’ve followed the same routine. Wake up early, get out of bed, take a chair out of the kitchen and drag it to the corner of the driveway.
From there, I’ll commence to sitting in my p.j.s and watch all the working people drive by. I wave insanely and smile. Some people wave back or honk their horns. Sometimes, I even get a visitor, Boon, a smelly, toothless drunk.
Boon’s practically homeless. He walks around aimlessly, begging for money. I don’t treat him to cash because then I’d be supporting his habit and I have my own vices. I do entertain him. He calls me Lil’ Bran’.
For some reason, though I’ve went to college, graduated, moved on to new things, he still calls me Lil’ Bran’, as if I’m still five. I let him get away with it.
He walked up to me one day and asked me if I was still looking for a job.
“No, I’ve stopped,” I said. I told him I was writing my book.
“Well Lil’ Bran’, I’m going to read anything you write,” he said. “You just write a paragraph and I’m going to read it. Oh, you’re a good writer.”
I smiled and nodded my head in appreciation of his encouragement.
He knows everybody’s business on the block. As I have come to find out information from my house sitting as well. I know when people leave, when they come back, when the delivery man comes by, what he drops off, who’s getting cable, who’s going to their dr.’s appointment. I know everything. I feel like the kid on the movie “Disturbia (2007)” except that, I’m not on house arrest. Unemployment keeps me at the house.
I find that its nothing wrong with sitting at home, though, it would be nice to have money coming in, while sitting at home.
Like every sane person, the first thought of unemployment put goose bumps on my arms and had me kind of down. At first, I wished that I had a job. But then I stopped wishing and got creative. Folk started asking me what I was doing. I told them, I’m working on my book. Everyone got the same answer.
“Bran, what are you doing?”
“I’m writing my book.”
“You’re not getting paid!!!”
Some in my family even came to me and badgered me about getting a job.
As if being a writer is not a good enough job, I thought.
One said, “Well you’ll need money.”
I didn’t answer. I figured she was half right and half wrong. I’ll need money for what? So I can shop? So I can look good? Eat well? That’s all I did with my money anyway.
I remember one day I sat in the bank (I was working a “real” job then). The lady told me I would need $9,000 for an old shaq I wanted. The notes on the home cost $200 a month. But if I had gone to them about a car, I would have had a 2009 fully loaded 40,000 whip off the show room floor, with no money down at $350 a month. Would you like rims with that Ms. Worley? The same cost of the house.
Now, my rationale was, I don’t need a car, nor do I pay a note so let me get the house. They say, no, we want nine grand.
The man will give me anything to keep you ignorant.
But that’s another story I have for you guys another day.
Boon and I sat on the corner and we watched cars go by. I actually liked getting up early. I had a point to my madness. I wanted to see my last boss pass me by on his way to work. Despite my great efforts on the job, he let me go. After that one, my little heart hurt.
As I sat outside, I thought about everything. The smell of Boon’s spoiled body brought me back. I had figured things out.
People always go after what they want and not what they need. I’ve seen people who know their kidneys are on dialysis, they need water but they want that liquor. By the end of the day they’ll be drinking a 40 oz.
Yet, in going after dreams or making it to the top, sometimes you have to let go the things you need to get what you want.
I had a dream - a dream to become a best-selling author. I put it aside for a job. Now, I’m sitting outside with Boon. That job put me aside. I guessed it might not be my time to get that well paying job, but I’ll finish my book.
They knew I could have used the extra cash.
To all the people who wouldn’t hire me, thanks. I don’t have a chance to be seduced by success in another field. (Rose, Golden Girls)
I may run into Struggle. I may face Rejection a couple of times. And Roadblocks. Heartache too. It’s risk I’m willing to manage. I got up from the stoop and told Boon bye.
He said, “Oh, you’re going to finish writing your book, hun?”
“Yup,” I replied. I once stressed about finding a job. With close to zero dollars in the bank I might as well become what I want to be.
I left him with a smile.
I figured that there are people who work all day, everyday and they still don’t have money.

So I guess we’re even, for now.

------Crumb Snatchers, Coming December 2008------

No comments: