Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm Coming Home Again

I’m back after that little drama with Gustav!
And #1, Genese is writing and me too! :D

I’m Coming Home Again

Well I’ve brought you guys on my trip around the world. You watched me complain, laugh, cry, anticipate, climb mountains, meet new friends, try new food and run from monkeys.
What you all didn’t know was that I became a punk on the trip. What I didn’t know was that my little sister (who didn’t attend) took a bet with Kell, my older sister on who would get on whose nerves first!
The bet was that Kell would get on my nerves first. I denied she ever did.
Yet, had evidence. Three days into what was a planned two-week stay, I demanded our plane tickets be moved up. It sounds so mean.
Its like, Kell’s nice enough to bring me to Africa with her, I go, complain, then cut her vacation plans short. The conference was held the first week, Kell booked our stay for two weeks, one to work and the last to play.
She clearly told me before we left the States that I would get the most enjoyment out of the trip because I didn’t have to work. I figured I would too.
And I know it sounds mean, maybe a little selfish. But three days into the trip I wanted to leave after the first week. She became sad and slightly regretted bringing me along, because she really wanted that vacation.
But here’s my rationale.
1. On the third day was also the day I saw that second iguana in my room.
2. I had to move into hers. That decision came loved and hated. I loved to get away from the mini zoo that occupied my room, but I hated to have to share a room with Kell because I knew she’d snore in my ears and I’d never get rest.
3. I’d also met a great deal of people at the conference and figured out when everyone else planned their departures, which was at the end of the week. I figured if we had terrible service with people now, that without other people we would be treated worse.
4. To top things off, I felt comfortable with the two Americans, who also said they were leaving at the end of the week.
5. I figured that the island was so small, we could experience it in three days, I already had.
6. I wanted out too.

She consented to my pleas to leave early. We left the hotel that morning and flagged down a cab. The cab driver agreed to bring us on the hour long ride back to the airport to change our tickets for $80. We made it to the airport, thru security and to the desk. It took two hours for the ladies to find us an earlier flight. As they searched I paced the airport’s floor in nervousness. I wondered what I would do for another week on that island if we were denied. Then finally, the attendants found us some seats. For $211 apiece, we moved our leave date up. Kell looked at me with disgust. Relieved, I picked up my ticket and smiled to myself. If she had seen that she really would have been mad. We left the airport and headed back to the conference. She didn’t talk to me much during the ride. She really didn’t talk to me that much at all that day. It wasn’t until night fell and the “organizers” told her that she wouldn’t be able to get a refund on some of her money, or a receipt and in addition to her project she would have to take the day she set aside for touring to stand at a board for two hours. The fact that she still was washing out her underclothes and hanging them around the room that she turned to me and said, “Bran, you were right.”

No comments: