Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Change of Heart

She said she wouldn’t do it. Absolutely not. No way. No how.

“I do not promote authors,” she said. “Once I promote one, they will all be coming knocking down the door.”

Listening intently to her, I tilted my head slightly to the side.

“I’ve been doing this for over 20 years, Brandi. And I treat everyone the same.”

I understand. Really, I did understand.

I traveled a long way to meet the head librarian. I needed to get information on how to continue to promote my own book. Being a dependent isn’t what I’m about. I’ll educate myself and keep moving.

Besides, it is MY project. It’s only going to work if I get behind it.
I held no qualms with this lady. She rose from her seat and told her secretary a few words. Looking down in my lap, rubbed my hands together and plucked at a button on my skirt.

She came back in and I looked up.

“Well, what’s your book about,” she asked with interest.

Figuring this was my window, I climbed through. She was only giving me a minute and I had to make the most of my time.

With wise words I told her about the story. She listened.

“You know what, I have a meeting tomorrow. All of my librarians from the entire district will be here to meet with me,” she told me.

Looking at her, I nodded my head for her to keep talking.

“I’ll talk to just a few about you and see what they say. Thanks for meeting me, and you have a nice day, but I just don’t promote authors. I don’t have the time.”

Politely, I thanked her. Before I left my seat I took a copy of my book and slid it closer to her on her desk.

“You can keep this copy,” I said.

“Well, thanks, I can show them this,” she said. “I’ll call you.”

I left my seat and walked out of the door. I did everything I could do, I told myself as I drove down the road. Networking here, networking there.
Confidently, I went after something I thought could help me.

This was just another lead that died. I’ll have to start fresh tomorrow and search for someone new. Try again, Brandi.

Just then when I pulled up to a red light, almost home my phone started ringing. I answered.

“Brandi, I want you to come to the meeting, you’ll be only one of two of my featured authors. And I really don’t do this, but I think there’s something different about you.”

Well, Thank You, I will be there.

No comments: