Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Foot in the Door

The FedEx man had less than 15 minutes to arrive.

I needed my books!! And I couldn't be late to the librarians meeting!

The delivery was just as important as my own presence for my meeting.

Books in my hand meant money.

FedEx always made it to the house at 9:30. My regular delivery guy even knew to load a few boxes in my car.
He knew my hustle and he loved to see when my orders were big!
My meeting started at 10:30. I had to make it with books. He made it in the nick of time. When my delivery came, I was ready to leave. We didn't talk much because of the rush. Business, you know.

Excitedly, I hopped in my car and made it up the highway.
It's official I told myself, I am an author, with my first book and I’m going meet the librarians.

My name was boldly printed on the agenda next to my book title. I was up for discussion! There were only two authors (including myself) and a handful of other important people there to present.

The audience was mostly women sitting wall to wall in the large room. The energy in the room was high.

The first author went up. I learned she worked a job a few years and had been in the game (literary world) a while so I sat back and played the rookie.
Yes, A rookie, but I planned to lead off my book presentation as if I was a top draft pick that made the starting line-up. I had to tuck my stage freight away.
As I walked to the podium I thought, I am now, the LeBron of writing. Franchise. No bench warmer. I have million dollar ink-pen endorsements.

Before I went up I prayed a silent prayer. Lord, please don’t let me trip, stutter or fall.

The first author was good. She was really good, and sometimes it's hard to go after good. I decided to feed off of her and the crowd energy.
My words came out of my mouth as I planned them in my head and several were eager to meet me afterwards.

One came up, grabbed my hand and said, "So nice to meet you. You know, we usually don't have authors over."

“Yes, I heard,” I replied with a smile.

"Let me buy a copy of your book."

“Why, sure!”

“I’ll read it first and see if it will be something our kids will be excited for,” she continued.

“I think you're going to like it,” I grinned.

She skimmed through the pages.

“I like it already,” she smiled back.

“When you are finished reading it can I come to your school? And do you order books?”

“You know what, you can because I think you will be great for our kids. Is your schedule be open? And, yes, we would order your book for the kids.”

“Yes, it is,” I beamed. My skin glowed even in the old recessed lighting and my heart did summersaults.

“I think that will be great.”

“Me too!!”

That day, I gained entry into three schools. I did well; most of the librarians worked at schools for younger kids and they were getting riddled with information packets, order forms with some companies even offering books for only a dollar.

[SIDEBAR]
My heart skipped another beat. I thought it was going to have me out of breath. I had to talk it into calming down. If I didn’t catch my breath we both were going to be in trouble.
OK! OK! Keep still, Heart!! We did great!
[END SIDEBAR]

On my way skipping out of the door a lady stopped me.

“Brandi, can you please sign your poster for my kids,” she asked. “You know, we usually don't have authors here.”

I take it as an honor, where do you want me to sign?

No comments: