Monday, May 07, 2007

My Momma Did That!

Tupac’s song “Dear Momma” is like the official soundtrack for Mother’s Day. I sing that song to my mom whenever it comes on the radio, though I can’t carry a tune. He put the song together like a genius. Susan is nothing like Afenia because she didn’t fight with the Black Panthers, my embryo wasn’t incarcerated and she didn’t use drugs. ‘Pac said he was hurt more than anything when he’d found out his mom used drugs. He still took the song and honored his mom for her great attributes. The descriptions he sings about her, I just change the words and make them fit for Susan. Like, I didn’t hug her from a jail cell, but I hugged her on my way going into in-school suspension. I hugged her bye. I landed into trouble from time to time and I know it hurt her. We fell on hard times too and she always managed to feed us. Susan didn’t exactly kick me out at 17, we go shopping together and I would be like her mini-shadow. I make my own words for her. Makaveli sang from his heart so I’ll play the song and sing my own version. My mom’s a flower child and deserves every bit of niceness that comes to her. So if you want to know what I’m getting her just know that it’s not going to be jewelry, any man can do that. Its not going to be candy. She’s sweet enough where sugar gets jealous. It’s not going to be flowers, because she planted four rose bushes by her house, representing my siblings and me. Just know that I will be conjuring up something from my heart. And that Tupac song. Every day is mother’s day for her from me.

‘cause it ain’t a woman alive that can take my momma’s place.’

No comments: