Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Random Act of Kindness

A lot of times we remember the bad things that happened to us.
Like, everyone can name the teacher who was mean to them. Or everyone remembers that most embarrassing moment. Or the school bully, who made it happen. No matter how minuscule or groundbreaking the incident was, people remember.
Well, in my case, I have a crazy memory. It’s very selective. I can remember great moments in my life. But, a lot of times I have trouble recalling names and faces of people. I would forget a person who I met last week. (Awful, you think? ...I know.)

To fix my little problem, in my blogs I’m creating a Random Acts of Kindness list. It’s going to include every kind act, which touched my heart for the day. Though I remember the teacher who was mean to me in the ninth grade, I also remember the very nice ones. And I want to keep remembering the nice decent people and moments. Just to make sure I do and for a bit of inspiration here’s my first entry to the Random Acts of Kindness.

(First Entry)
The rain poured heavy at work. I had no umbrella and wore a brand new outfit. I looked like a fresh breath of air. Yet, the drops fell down in horizontal sheets. I had been at work since 7:50a. And the day was long and a little tough. So much that I was more than prepared to get soaked if it meant I'd make it to my car and away from the building. The trade off sounded worth it. My spirits were already defeated, so the rain could do me nothing more. Plus the mood around the building was sour. People rarely spoke to one another or shared a smile. It was just a bad day.
I slowly lowered my head. I needed to catch a second wind. Then I heard footsteps behind me and decided to not even look back. Because the sight of another sad soul would break me. Just when my right heel toe was about to step from under the covered walkway to make the half-mile trek to my car, an angel walked around the corner with a magenta umbrella.
She asked, "Where's your car?"
To my surprise all I could do was point.
I pointed my bony index finger towards the road. (I always park closer to the sun, far East to freedom than to the building.)
"OK," she said softly. “Just wait here and let me let my windows up.”
I nodded. I couldn't gather words. Someone actually did something so kind for me that I would have normally had done for someone else. It's just nice that that came back to me true fold.
Now, by the way the rain was falling, I thought the lady was walking to a hoopty. That’s just the way I’ve known people to treat old cars without a/c, “to let it cool”, considering it was hot too.
The Angel walked to her brand new car and I noticed the sunroof open. Thick droplets fell on the fresh leather. She closed it and pulled up the windows. She returned to me within a minute and though I couldn't find words, I thought quickly. I thought of anything that would keep her from going out in the chilly rain again.
"Instead of you walking me, can I use your umbrella, get my car and bring it back to you," I asked.
"Sure," she said.
"Cool," I smiled politely.
I made it to my car, dry and still intact. When I pulled up to the curb, my first initial reaction was to run out and bring her the umbrella back. But she beat me to the punch. She ran out from the cover to my window and grabbed the umbrella.
“Thank you,” I yelled over the weather. I felt special.
It sure made my day bright.
Because she didn't have to.

Send me your Random Acts of Kindness. There are still nice people in the world.

No comments: